Secretly Swedish Design Co. is a one-person creative studio, comprising of Mark Gamble. Mark Gamble is me (hello 👋🏻). I'm a Graphic Designer, Design Director and Illustrator. I don't like talking in the third person and I'm not Swedish at all.

Originally from London, I’ve been living in Australia for the last 9 years. Recently, I’ve swapped the coffee drenched streets of Melbourne for the swell of the Surf Coast. Despite the seemingly remote nature of where I’ve found myself, it hasn’t stopped me from continuing to work with clients from as far afield as New York, and further.

For over 15 years, I’ve taken my interest in colour, shape, texture and type, and applied it to my work. I’m constantly striving to create work that has purpose, meaning and function – without losing its playfulness. That’s not always an easy endeavour, sometimes impossible, but it’s the nature of why I’m so passionate about what I do: each project is a new challenge to solve, embrace, hate, love, learn from – and then you get to do it all over again.

My love of design is rooted in my obsession with music, film, comics and branding.  Throw in a cliché appreciation of Charles and Ray Eames, Dieter Rams, and Frank Lloyd Wright – then you’ve got the blueprint for what inspires me.

These influences are pretty evident in the work I create as Secretly Swedish, given the prominence of halftones, thick lines, faux offsets, bold typography and brights colours. My work is unashamedly pastiche in its nature – a love letter to print, branding and Pop Art from the 60’s and 70’s.

While it’s nice to talk up my own work, I’ve spent most of my career developing my craft within some pretty notable agencies, spanning branding, packaging, marketing and events. That’s also afforded me the opportunity to work with some incredible brands over the years – some big, some small. From one project to the the next, they have varied wildly – from global rebrands to national campaigns, website redesigns to festival activations, brand strategies to annual reports. I’ve learnt to work as part of a team, as well as managing them, and truly enjoy the collaborative process.

Print is where I started my design journey, and it’s the tactile nature of physical design that still really excites me. However, as much as I still consider myself a “traditional” Graphic Designer, my experience as a Digital Designer has grown exponentially in the last few years. I’ve become more and more interested in the way brands need to consider the way they show up in the real world versus digital channels – with a particular focus on accessibility.

These days, when I’m not working, my dog Cleo is the recipient of most of my attention – something my partner Rachael has accepted, with grace. I still love going to gigs, providing the finish time isn’t too late. I’m also in the “I’ve turned my garage into a wood workshop” stage of my life, making furniture that has, so far, always ended up much smaller than the original plans. I can often be found hiking with my camera in the wilds of Tasmania and New Zealand. I am also a glutton for punishment, being an Arsenal Football Club supporter – sometimes you have to question whether getting up at 2am to watch them scrape a draw is really worth the stress and lack of sleep.

Finally, right at the bottom of this page, is where I mention I’m Autistic. While it might seem like I’m hiding it down here, it’s quite the opposite. I would not be the person I am without it (obviously). My attention to detail, pragmatic approach to work and love of problem solving, are all because of my Autism. As a designer, they are such important aspects of who I am, that I don’t think I’d be doing this half as well if my brain worked differently. For the 10% of negative challenges it poses, the other 90% is something that I can only describe as being positive. It’s something I am constantly learning about, adapting to, and embracing. ✌🏻